The Madison County Young Republicans and Right On Huntsville are hosting the Huntsville Governors Forum on Tuesday March 2, 2010 at the Alabama Space and Rocket Center’s Davidson Center.
The forum is open to the public and starts promptly at 6:15PM – that’s when the Butler High School Junior Air Force ROTC Color Guard opens the event with the presentation of the colors. If you know their Instructor, then you know that this event -shall- start on time.
There will be a private Reception with the Gubernatorial candidates starting at 5:00PM (tickets are $50 each, available online).
I’m announcing a milestone of sorts – the Huntsville Governors Forum website is UP! Check it out! The links work! The reception ticket ordering system works!
We are developing a questionnaire for the candidates - their responses will be featured at the HGF website. There will be nine questions – plus the softball. If you have a question that you’d us to consider, or if you’d like to chime in on which questions we should ask, please comment. Note that a Free the Hops question will (likely) be asked during the Forum itself. Also note that a question on tapping into the Alabama Trust Fund will (likely) be asked during the Forum. Here’s a draft list of questions:
1. Do you support Initiative and Referendum?
2. Do you support the re-authorization of Forever Wild?
3. What is your position on gambling? Do you support dog-tracks, lottery, casinos, bingo, making a compact with the Creeks?
4. Alabama is currently coping with budget shortfalls that have led to pro-ration and forced the state to use the “rainy day fund”. What solution would you pursue as Governor? If spending cuts or tax increases are involved please provide specifics.
5. What measures would you support to increase transparency and accountability in our state government?
6. Do you support eliminating the grocery sales tax? If so, how do you propose to replace the lost revenue?
7. What is your position on Constitutional Reform? Would you support a Constitutional Convention?
8. What role should the state play in economic development?
9. What ideas do you support for conserving the natural (environmental) and cultural heritage of Alabama?
10. What ideas do you have for roads and bridges – what is your transportation plan and how will you fund it?
11. What economic development incentives or initiatives do you propose and how will you pay for it?
12. What ideas do you propose for improving health care?
13. How often should property valuations for property taxes be conducted?
14. Is PACT a promise and if so, how will you fund it? Should the program be continued?
15. What ideas do you propose for improving education?
16. What do you think about the 10th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution?
17. How are you going to break the AEA’s hold on State government?
18. How do you plan to allocate gas tax revenues?
19. How much do you love guns and the Second Amendment?
20. Do you support limiting the use of Eminent Domain? What is your definition of “public use”?
21. What water policy ideas do you support?
22. What ideas do you propose for improving trade and technical education?
23. Do you support a State-wide system of building regulations and inspections?
24. What are your views on marriage?
25. How will you improve public safety?